Friday, December 31, 2010

Marking Time

Today is New Year's Eve. It will be a quiet celebration here on the corner of Dirt and Burt. I no longer need the festivities of a party, dancing, noise makers, and champagne. I will be quite content with a nice dinner and my warm bed at the usual time.

This is the time many of us will make our long lists of resolutions, all those promises we make to ourselves as the old year becomes new again. Although there are certainly many things I would like to promise myself (and then act on) this year I have resolved (oops is that a promise?) not to look back with regrets on less than stellar accomplishment, hoping to change... but to look forward instead. If, as Dr. Phil says, the past is a predictor of the future, I may not lose all that weight and finally reach goal. I may not exercise every day, I may not keep my house spic and span. And, oh worse of all, I may not use up all that fabric sitting on the shelves of my quilt room. I may not even get into the closet from hell and finish all those projects.

So today, on the last day of 2010, I chose instead, to remember all that I am thankful for. Of course family is at the top of that list but as I sit every morning and read email I am also most thankful for friends.

Last evening the OddOnes (now that is a story in itself for another time) met for dinner out and then back to Joan's for dessert and chatter. We usually spend out evenings together working on our individual projects but last night we seemed content to simply spend time together. How comfortable we all are with each other. Over the years we know each other's joys and concerns. If ever anyone "has my back" it is the OddOnes (yes I will explain that name sometime). I belong to other newer groups but these are my "homeboys"or more correctly "homegirls". We have been together since?????? Well, many years! They saw (yes, saw, through the many pictures I bored them with) the birth and growth of my five grandkids. They read my email posts every day and seem to tolerate my daily ramblings. Obviously they realize how fortunate I am to have five such remarkable grandkids...grin! And if I ever need a helping hand or a shoulder to cry on,,,the OddOnes will come running. I know that like I know the sun will come up tomorrow on a new day and a brand new year.

So, let's raise our cup (mine is coffee) to the coming of 2011 and to family and friends. Thank you for being mine!

1 comment:

  1. Judy, I read your blogs too. Love them!!! I feel so honored to be one of the "Odd Ones". Happy New Year to you and your family.
    Hugs,
    Gypsy

    ReplyDelete