Saturday, July 16, 2011

Humility or Vanity?

I attended a quilting retreat this week and what a joy that always is to me. Three days of constant sewing with good friends, no phones ringing, no dishes to wash or meals to prepare. Lots of time to read, enjoy the beautiful garden, sip coffee and visit. I am seldom ready to return home and face the realities of daily life although I sure miss my grandkids when gone.

One of the few downsides to retreating is the loss of my wonderful, oh so private, bathroom and shower. Dorm style living always reminds me of the years I spent as a nursing student living in a dorm and sharing all facilities. Private times never were! Shyness simply wouldn't work in large bath areas used by an entire floor of students.

One night this week I headed to the smaller bathroom to take my nightly shower. I was armed with towel, washcloth, soap and shampoo. With a tightly locked door behind me in that small room, I began to disrobe....in complete privacy, right? I carefully lay my clothing on the provided chair and turned to pull the shower curtain and adjust the water. There, in front of me, was an old woman who obviously bore no resemblance to the real me. Now who, with any kindness, would position a large mirror on the door of a small shower area? As I looked with shocked eyes I could see the face looked familiar, but the rest? Now how could all those changes have occured so suddenly? You will be spared a more graphic description of what my eyes beheld but suffice it to say......"OH Good Heavens. Look at that old woman!" There is a lot to be said for clothing...loose clothing...hiding clothing.

Well, that old woman is still with me but I will chose to be kinder and more gentle with her. I think maybe in time she will fade into the background and the real me will return. But...I do promise myself this, to look carefully into any shower room and avoid that big mirror, just in case she might return.

No comments:

Post a Comment