Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 26...A Quilty Weekend







My favorite type of weekend....Quilty !












Friday I drove the 20 miles to Champaign and met with friends to "sit and stitch". This is an informal bunch who try to get together every Friday, Illinois weather and family events permitting, and sew, gab, and perhaps do some shopping later in the day.



Many take their machines but some prefer to do hand work such as binding. We arrange tables in a sort of a square circle so we are officially a sewing circle? Most have one of those little Gem machines so we have electrical cords snaking all over the room and fabric is flying.



My friend Gail was working on the binding of a baby quilt (upper right) to be sent to England for a new baby, born very early, but now at last home with family. The blocks came from a swap we did in local guild several years ago. I think I have a pile of those blocks somewhere but don't they make a cute baby quilt? Maybe when I dig into the "closet from hell" I can find mine?


Saturday was the date for the Land of Lincoln Quilt Guild, our regional state guild. We met in Decatur and had a fine day. Breakfast snacks at nine followed by the board and business meetings, then a catered lunch and finally a nice program. One of the highlights is always "show and tell". I seldom have much to show but yesterday I took the completed top of the flag quilt (upper left) which I finished on Friday. Now, I realize a top is not a finished quilt but it is now at the point I can turn it over to Sue, one of our more than capable long-arm quilters.


I bought the pattern at another LLQA meeting about a year ago and after showing it to my Annie's (Civil War) group we decided to do it as a swap. We bought a common background and drew names for which sets of three alike blocks we would do for each other. Each swapper did her own star section. I did my star section like the pattern showed using a light background but when I put it with the rest of the quilt, it looked awful. So, I got a bottle of fabric dye and tried that...still awful. I knew I would never be happy with it the way it was so I redid the section using the common background. Thank goodness we had purchased enough!


Today, Sunday will be catch up day for me here on my corner. I have two sets of minutes to write and send out, two pages of recipes to be written for newsletters, and my house is a bit of a mess. Oh by the way, I have committed myself to doing the Farmer's Wife quilt...insanity? There is a blog doing this and four of us have been bitten by the bug........














No comments:

Post a Comment