Friday, October 22, 2010

Fall Nesting for this Old Bird

We've had our first frost warning out here on my corner and I think there was actually frost on the pumpkins on my front porch early this morning. With fall still in all it's splendor around me I am aware that winer is not too far down the road waiting to charge in and take control.

Cooling temps, falling leaves, and brillient colors begin the nesting instinct deep within me. Perhaps in a previous life I was a Mama bear and am now readying myself for hibernation? For some reason I feel driven this week to dive in and organize in my sewing room. Now you don't have to be a quilter to understand this but if you are a crafter of any type you will know of what I speak.

The piles have gotten too high. There is literally a path down the center of the room. Oh, if I had a camera and posted a pic you mght be shocked (unless you are a crafter and then you would chuckle). Earlier this week I opened the door to that closet from you know where looking for something and now the door remains open and I must deal with all that is inside there. First on the aganda is all those magazines I had to save cause I might want a pattern out of them? Probably not! The weight of them has bowed the closet shelf. OK pull them all out and while sitting in front of the TV go through them and pull out any patterns you might really use. The stack reached over 3 feet high. Finish a hand full or two and immediately take them to the dumpster...gone. Now for those of you who say, "Whoa, recycle"... out here on my corner in never never land we don't have recycling available. The gas I would burn taking all those magazines to the nearest town with recycle bins would negate the effort. I will sooth my conscience by remembering that we used to burn all this type of material and at least we don't do that anymore.

Wow, I now have 24 inches of closet space available for what? Maybe old newsletters that I must save from my quilt guild? Maybe for those books I absolutely won't get rid of? Maybe I can donate some of them. If I moved the stacks them off the cabinet tops I would have room to display all that Civil War fabric ( my new fav). So...am I simply rotating stuff? No, the closet door will now shut but I will leave it open and perhaps continue this mission and get down to those 4 large tubs filled with blocks, UFOs and other essential that I saved for what reason?

No comments:

Post a Comment