Sunday, October 17, 2010

Time flies....

Wow, how could these weeks have passed so quickly? What happened to August, September, and now half of October? It has been a busy time here on my corner with harvest coming so early this year. We were blessed with good weather and a plentiful harvest for the farmers but at the same time that meant long hard hours here at the elevators.

I no longer work at the office managing the scale and paperwork. My job is feeding the workers at both elevators. So my day starts the night before with planning the next days meals. Bright and early I am up frying bacon, ham, or sausage and eggs for breakfast sandwiches which are delivered across the street. Two lunches must be prepared...a full meal for the guys here who have enough help to take turns actually sitting down to a meal...and a second meal to go up north to the second elevator that requires food that can be held in the hand while they work. After the two meals are loaded in the car, I deliver across the street first and then head north.

Back home to clean up the kitchen and put away any left over food...usually little as these guys have very healthy appetites. Now the rest of the afternoon is mine to do with as I wish...well after a trip to the grocery store or other errands are run. Little quilting has been done these last months and I have missed my small groups. My dining room table is piled with crockpots and all the necessities of cooking large meals.

Now it is over and the last load of beans has been delivered here and I am getting back to my normal life. I can return to the small quilting groups, go on a fabric shopping binge, start cleaning that messy quilt room, but guess what? I miss the activity that goes with harvest. Miss the fulfillment that goes with doing a job that supports my family. At 71 it still feels good to hear someone say,"Job well done". Of course the job will be waiting for me next year and I pray I am still blessed with health and can start "work" once again.

1 comment: